Hello! The next #24in48 Readathon starts TONIGHT! It runs from midnight on July 22nd through 11:59p on July 23rd. (It’s not too late to sign-up!)
My TBR for #24in48 !
The above photo shows the books I hope to read – or at least make a dent in – over this two-day readathon. The books shown include “books” on top and graphic novels on the bottom. (And my Max is investigating/kissing them! 🙂 )
From top to bottom, all of the books (links will take you to the books’ descriptions on Goodreads) are. . .
- Theogony and Works and Days by Hesiod, translated by M.L. West;
- Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1) by John Marsden;
- What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding by Kristin Newman;
- Pride’s Spell (Sin du Jour, #3) by Matt Wallace;
- Idle Ingredients (Sin du Jour, #4) by Matt Wallace;
- Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1) by Dana Marie Bell;
- Because You Love to Hate Me: 13 Tales of Villainy, edited by Ameriie;
- Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel;
- Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi, translated by Mattias Ripa;
- Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 1: Hooked On A Feline by Kate Leth;
- Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 2: Don’t Stop Me-Ow by Kate Leth; and
- Saga: Volume One by Brian K. Vaughan
I doubt I’ll be able to read this whole stack – all 12 – but I’m hoping to read at least half of these books! I think at least two, and hopefully three, of the “books” plus three of the graphic novels should be doable. But I’ll have to see how much “social stuff” I do, which might mean that I listen to Miniatures: The Very Short Fiction of John Scalzi, by John Scalzi and narrated by a “full cast,” for the 15th (and 16th, 17th, 18th. . .) time. 😉
The six books I’m most hoping to read include. . .
Wish me luck? 😉
Hi! Yesterday I saw a new video from Rincey Reads on YouTube about “2017 Mid-Year Goals Check In” and thought I would try to do a written post about my own Mid-Year Goals Check-In. 🙂
But before I check-in on my reading goals, I should probably share my 2017 Reading Goals. 😉
(Please note that right-clicking to view any image will show you a larger, more easily “read,” version of it.)
My Five 2017 Reading Goals
- On Goodreads, for the past several years I have set a goal to read 200 books a year. I set this same goal for 2017, though I am hoping to read more. (In 2016, I read around 205, so I am hoping to read 250 in 2017, but I left it at 200 books to start with. I’ll bump it up to 250 IF I get close to 250. 😉 )
- In 2016, I read six or seven series – from beginning to latest (or last) book! – that I own, but hadn’t read completely. So in 2017, I also decided that I need to read at least six series. What series, you ask? I’ll tell you. . . (Please note that all book counts were as of January 1, 2017; any 2017 releases were/are to be purchased and read after their releases.) Here is a picture of all of them:
- Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon series by Yasmine Galenorn (18 books);
- Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep (15 books);
- Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher (15 books);
- Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde (7 books);
- Guardians Trilogy by Nora Roberts (3 books); and
- Soulwood series by Faith Hunter (2 books)
- I wanted to do better in the 2017 edition of Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge. I didn’t finish 2016’s. 😦 I am hoping to finish 2017’s (I finished 2015’s). 🙂
- I also wanted to do a better job at staying current with any challenges I did in my groups on Goodreads.com. (In addition to the Book Riot group, I’m also in the Nothing But Reading Challenges group and three Paranormal/Urban-Fantasy groups that do monthly and semi-annual challenges.) I had slacked on keeping track of challenges (and my reading for them) after my father’s death in 2014. I hoped to get back on track in 2017.
- I planned to participate in each of the 2017 Readathons for the Dewey’s 24-Hour #Readathon (April and October), the #24in48 Readathon (January and July), and the #BoutofBooks Readathon (January, May, and August).
So those were my Five Reading Goals for 2017! Now, how am I doing now that we’re past the halfway point of the year?
Mid-Year 2017 Reading Goal Check-In!
- As of July 15, I have read 138 of 200 books and am 31 books ahead of schedule! (Please note that the 138 includes a few short stories and children’s picture books. It includes anything that has an individual page on Goodreads. But they count, too!!! 🙂 )
- So far as reading series I own goes, progress has been slow.
- I’ve only managed to complete the 18 books in the Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon series by Yasmine Galenorn, which I started in January and finished in June. (I read more than just this series during this time.)
- I have also finished the first four books and assorted short stories in the Elemental Assassin series (now 16 books long). I’m reading this series with buddies in one of my Goodreads groups. We have a schedule and are reading two every two weeks (books one and two starting June 19, books three and four starting July 3, books five and six starting July 17, and so on through books 15 and 16 starting September 25). So far, I am reading them per this schedule!
- In the Dresden Files, I’ve read the first five books (out of 15).
- I haven’t yet started on the other three series (Thursday Next, Guardians Trilogy, or Soulwood).
- For the Soulwood series, I am planning to start it around when book three comes out in early December 2017. 🙂
- I am making excellent progress toward completion of the 2017 Book Riot Read Harder Challenge. I’ve completed 19 of the 24 tasks! I’m on track to finish this challenge in the next month or two, especially as I have four of the last five books I need on hold at my library. 🙂
- Regarding keeping current in other challenges, I don’t know that I did all that well with this in the first half of the year, since the first time I can remember updating was in June. But I’m hoping to do better from “this point” onward.
- Readathons: Thus far, we have had one #24in48 Readathon, two #BoutofBooks Readathons, and one Dewey’s 24-Hour #Readathon.
- January’s #24in48 Readathon went very well for me. I managed to read for 24 hours in the 48! 🙂
- January’s and May’s #BoutofBooks Readathons were disappointments for me. I spent too much time on “distractions” and not enough on reading. I am hoping that August’s will be much better. (I’d like to read at least seven books in seven days!) Here is a summary of the first two #BoutofBooks Readathons we’ve had in 2017:
- In the April outing of the Dewey’s 24-Hour #Readathon, I spent too much time on social stuff and, once again, not enough on reading. I only managed to read just over half of one print book! (Silence Fallen by Patricia Briggs was the book; I made it to page 208 of 364.) Of course, I also listened to over 12 hours of audiobooks, but still. . . I was disappointed. (I listened to The Chimes by Charles Dickens once and Miniatures: The Very Short Fiction of John Scalzi, by John Scalzi, three times! [I listened to Miniatures twice during the May #BoutofBooks Readathon. 🙂 ]) Here is a picture of the books I read for the April 24-Hour #Readathon:
And that’s it for my 2017 Reading Goals Halfway Point Check-In!
I hope you enjoyed reading this post. It was fun figuring out where I am in my goals, but realizing that I have a long way to go for some of them (#2, I’m looking at you!) is daunting! 🙂